Monday, April 6, 2009

Potato and Spinach Masala





This is really, really good. Okay, so it's not as low in fat as most of my recipes--it contains lite coconut milk, which adds 3.5 grams of fat per serving. But it's soooooo good! The combination of lime and coconut milk is incredible.



This recipe was adapted from Yukon Gold and Baby Spinach Masala in the April 2009 Vegetarian Times.





Ingredients:
2 1/2 lbs Yukon Gold or Klondike yellow-fleshed potatoes, cut into cubes
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 T minced fresh ginger
1 jalapeno chile, chopped
1 t ground coriander
1/2 t ground cumin
1/2 t turmeric
1 13.5-oz can lite coconut milk
4 oz fresh spinach, chopped
1 1/2 t garam masala
2 T lime juice
1/2 cup chopped cilantro

Procedure:
Steam the potatoes in steamer basket for about 10 minutes, until just tender.
Meanwhile, saute the onion in 1/4 cup water in a large nonstick skillet. Add the garlic, ginger, and jalapeno, and continue sauteeing until golden and fragrant, adding more water if needed. Stir in the coriander, cumin, and turmeric. Stir in the potatoes. Add coconut milk and 1/4 cup of water. Bring to a simmer, and cook 5 minutes. Stir in the spinach and garam masala, and cook 2 minutes until spinach is wilted. Stir in lime juice and cilantro just before serving. Serve over brown rice.

6 comments:

  1. That does sound good! I don't have all the ingredients, though, so I'd have to do some serious adaptation to make it. ...pondering, pondering...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to try this--what would happen if you don't use the yellow potatoes and use , say, Russet? I don't know if we have any yellow ones available.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The yellow Yukon potatoes cook up nice and firm, but Russet potatoes will work fine too. You can even use little red potatoes--I've done that, and it turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes the red potatoes might be nice. We can sometimes get yt yellow yukon but I haven't seen those lately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, we tried this and I really loved it. Could I post a pic and the recipe on my blog with a link telling where I got it from. Or do you prefer me not to post the recipe? We just had to add salt and pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you liked it! Sure, I'd be happy for you to post the recipe and link to my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete