Saturday, April 25, 2009

Kidney Bean Salad


Lunch today was kidney bean salad made with a delicious tofu mayonnaise from one of my book fair books, Instead of Chicken, Instead of Turkey: A Poultryless "Poultry" Potpourri. This book was written by Karen Davis, the founder of United Poultry Concerns, a non-profit education organization involved with the treatment of domestic fowl.

I'm not normally a big fan of tofu mayonnaises--they always seem too heavy to me, and I never use up the leftovers. But this one was good--light, sweet, and tangy. I only made 1/4 the recipe, so I didn't have gobs of it left like I usually do--just a little dab, which we'll be able to use up in the next few days.

Here's the way I made it:

Oil-Free Tofu Mayonnaise


4 oz Mori-Nu lite silken tofu, firm
1 small clove garlic
1/4 tsp dill weed
1/4 tsp onion powder
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
juice of 1/2 lemon
water, if needed to thin

Blend all ingredients. (I used my little Cuisinart mini-blender that the Smart Stick fits into).


Kidney Bean Salad
2 cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
3 T oil-free tofu mayonnaise (above)
2 T sweet pickle relish

Mash kidney beans with a potato masher. Mix all ingredients. Serve with pitas or crackers.

3 comments:

  1. I tried this recipe this afternoon on dark rye bread topped with slices of pickles. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete