Wednesday, March 25, 2009

VT's Vegetable Kootu

The most recent issue of Vegetarian Times magazine (March 2009) features South Indian recipes--including this delicious Mixed Vegetable Kootu.

I tweaked the amounts of cayenne pepper, vegetables, and oil--the recipe called for 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, and I simply omitted it. It had plenty of coconut flavor already, from the coconut in the recipe. I followed VT's suggestion to substitute dried coconut soaked in hot water for the fresh coconut. I also substituted frozen cauliflower and green beans for fresh.

Here's the recipe as originally written, with my changes in red.

Mixed Vegetable Kootu

1 cup firmly packed cilantro leaves
1/2 cup fresh or frozen grated coconut (or dried coconut soaked in hot water for 15 minutes and then drained)
1/2 cup low-fat coconut milk
5 cloves garlic, peeled
1 serrano chile, stemmed and seeded
1 T ground coriander
1 t cayenne pepper (I used only used 1/2 teaspoon)
2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch diagonal slices
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch rounds (I used 2 sweet potatoes)
1/2 head cauliflower, cut into florets (I used 1 16-oz bag of frozen cauliflower)
1/4 lb green beans (I used 2 cups of frozen green beans)
2 T coconut oil (I omitted this)
1 t mustard seeds
8 curry leaves, optional (I used 8 dried leaves--I buy fresh curry leaves and dry them in the
oven for future use)

Procedure:

1. Puree cilantro leaves, coconut, coconut milk, garlic, serrano chile, coriander, and cayenne pepper in food processor until mixture forms a smooth paste. Set aside.
2. Place carrots and sweet potatoes in large skillet and cover with 1 cup water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, and cook 2 minutes. Add green beans, cover, and cook 2 minutes more, or until vegetables are just tender (they will need to cook about 10 minutes if you are using frozen vegetables--read the directions on the package). Stir in cilantro-and-coconut paste, and season with salt and pepper if desired. Cover and keep warm.
3. Meanwhile, heat oil (or dry skillet) over medium-high heat. Add mustard seeds and cover. Cook 30 seconds, or until sizzling/popping subsides, then stir in curry leaves. Stir mustard seeds and curry leaves into vegetables. Serve hot or at room temperature. We ate them with papads.

No comments:

Post a Comment