Sunday, February 8, 2009
Ten Things That Made Me Smile
1. The sweatshirt I got for Christmas (see photo).
2. Finally finding bulk baking yeast at River City Natural Food Market in Kirkwood so I don't have to use those silly little paper packets of yeast any more.
3. Sipping a soy latte at Foundation Grounds, the new eco-friendly coffee shop in Maplewood, Missouri.
4. Walking at Route 66 State Park. This area was once the town of Times Beach, Missouri, which, in the 1980s, became uninhabitable due to dioxin contamination. Residents were displaced, incinerators were brought in, and all the soil was dug up and burned to remove the toxin. Now, 25 years later, the earth is recovering from the disaster. The area is now a park with trails for hiking, bicycling, and horseback riding. Lots of smiles on people's faces on Saturday--everyone was so happy to be outdoors!
5. The unseasonably warm, spring-like weather St. Louis enjoyed this weekend.
6. Making my own soy milk.
7. Trying out the new kinds of beans my husband brought home from Global Foods--pigeon peas (gandules), cow peas, and Roman beans (also called cranberry beans). They were delicious in 5-bean dal made from a FatFree Vegan recipe--sorry, no photos (we ate it up too fast)!
8. Going to a Saturday night movie on impulse (Last Chance Harvey, with Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson).
9. Finding out that my son is a National Merit Scholarship finalist!
10. Settlers of Catan (to be discussed in a future post).