Sunday, February 1, 2009

Super Bowl Dips


For Super Bowl Sunday, I made two great dips to serve with pita bread and chips. Both were from one of my all-time favorite cookbooks, The Accidental Vegan by Devra Gartenstein.

I just discovered Devra's blog, The Quirky Gourmet, and was thrilled to find out there is a new edition of The Accidental Vegan--with additional recipes!

We had Babaganoush, which is so good my daughter and I could live on it--and Anasazi Bean Dip. Here are the recipes as written; I'll explain any modifications I made at the end of each recipe.



Babaganoush

2 medium eggplants
1/4 cup tahini
1 T fresh parsley
2 T lemon juice
1 T olive oil
1 t sea salt
1/2 t black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Poke the eggplants all over with a fork or knife, then roast them on a baking pan until they're wrinkled and soft, about one hour.
When they're cool enough to handle, scoop out the pulp and puree it in a food processor or blender with the other ingredients.

I left out the olive oil to make this lower in fat; since we're used to eating foods without added oils, the oil in the tahini gives it plenty of richness.

Anasazi Bean Dip

2 cups Anasazi beans
water to cover
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small can diced green chilies
1 t sea salt
1 tomato, chopped or 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
1 T chili powder
1 t ground cumin
1 t dried oregano
2 T red wine vinegar

Soak the beans for a few hours or overnight.
Change the water and cook them in a medium saucepan with all the ingredients except the vinegar for about an hour and a half, until the beans are soft enough to break down when you stir them. Add more water if necessary.
Add the vinegar and serve.

I used canned pintos. I've never seen anasazi beans in any store around here--but they could probably be ordered. They sound interesting! I also left out the tomatoes because my husband is not a huge tomato fan. When cooking the beans and other ingredients, I added about 1 cup of water and let it simmer for about 1/2 hour, since the beans were already cooked. If anyone has tried anasazi beans, or knows where to get them, please let me know!




1 comment:

  1. My husband asked me to find a Babaganoush recipe this looks like what he described thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete