Sunday, February 1, 2009

Broccoli and Cheez Soup--Seriously Good!


I first saw the recipe for this soup a couple of weeks ago on this thread at the the McDougall Forums. People there were raving about how good it was, and I decided I had to try it soon. It originated over at FatFree Vegan as Shelly's Cheez Please Soup--here's a link to the original recipe.

The version posted by Kai on the McDougall forum, is simpler--fewer ingredients--and it is incredibly good.

Yesterday, when the new McDougall newsletter came out, guess what was in the recipe section? Yep, a variation on this soup. Below, you'll find the recipe as it appeared in the newsletter, complete with Mary's comment. If you'd like to subscribe to Dr. McDougall's newsletter, there's a link on his home page.

When I made this for lunch today, I used lots of shortcuts: frozen potato shreds, Imagine No-Chicken broth, frozen broccoli, and my favorite 365 Brand canned cannellini beans. It couldn't have been easier. I blended it with my awesome new Cuisinart Hand Blender (my old Oster immersion blender recently bit the dust).


Potato and Broccoli Soup

This recipe came from the McDougall Discussion Board a while ago and it is so good and easy that I wanted to share it with all of you.

Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Servings: 2-3

2 cups frozen hash brown potato chunks
3 cups vegetable broth or water
1 15 ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
½ cup nutritional yeast flakes
1 teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups small broccoli florets

Place the potatoes and broth in a large pot. Cook for about 10 minutes until potatoes are tender. Place in a blender jar with all the remaining ingredients except the broccoli. Blend until smooth. Return to pan, add the broccoli and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.

Hints: Fresh potatoes that have been peeled and cut into chunks may also be used, but since I usually have the frozen chunks in my freezer, I saved time by using those. Frozen broccoli florets may also be used in place of the fresh broccoli.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, sounds good! I make a broccoli soup and a potato soup in my crock-pot, just not together like this. :)

    ReplyDelete