Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Overnight Apple French Toast


For the past three years, I've made this on Christmas Eve. I refrigerate it overnight, and then pop it into the oven on Christmas morning. After we open presents, we have a nice hot breakfast--with very little effort on my part! The recipe is adapted from "Connie's Overnight Apple French Toast" from The Garden of Vegan by Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer. I left out the margarine, subbed orange juice for apple juice, and did some other minor tweaking.
When I started this "tradition" three years ago, my kids were unenthusiastic. But my husband and I loved it. This year when I started preparing it, one of my sons exclaimed, "Oh, that stuff! It's delicious!" And everyone ate it happily. Sometimes you just have to persevere.

Overnight Apple French Toast

3 tart apples, cored and sliced
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 cup orange juice
1/2 cup soy milk
6 oz soy yogurt
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
8 slices of whole wheat bread

In a nonstick skillet, cook the apples in 3 tbsp. water or apple juice until apples start to soften. Add the cinnamon, sweetener, and maple syrup, and cook until apples are soft. Pour the ingredients into the bottom of a 8"x8" baking dish(I use a Corningware baking dish and spray it lightly with canola spray). In a large bowl, whisk together the apple juice, soy milk, yogurt, and vanilla. Dip each slice of bread into the mixture until fully covered, and arrange on top of the apple mixture in the baking dish. Keep layering the pieces of bread, making 2 or 3 layers on top of the apples. Pour the remaining batter over the bread, and sprinkle a little cinnamon on top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

In the morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake uncovered for 35 - 40 minutes. Cut into squares and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment