Sunday, December 21, 2008

Curried Cauliflower Soup

A rare lazy Sunday; nobody has to be anywhere! Lunch was an improvised vegetable pot pie--cut up potatoes, carrots, and peas cooked in vegetable broth thickened with arrowroot; then covered with biscuit dough and baked in the oven. Here's the link to the biscuit dough recipe.

Last night we trimmed the tree and then watched Holiday Inn. What a great movie! I commented on how much fun it is to watch Fred Astaire dance and Bing Crosby sing. My son replied, "Yes, I guess that's why they had careers."

For dinner, I made my new favorite, Curried Cauliflower Soup. My version is adapted from a recipe in the January issue of Vegetarian Times.

Curried Cauliflower Soup
1 onion, chopped
1 medium tart apple, unpeeled, cored and diced
1 T. curry powder
1 clove garlic, sliced
2 16-oz bags of frozen cauliflower (or use 1 large head of fresh cauliflower)
4 cups vegetable broth (I use Imagine No-Chicken)
1 t. agave nectar or honey
1 t. rice wine vinegar

Saute the onion in 2 T. of the broth until soft. Stir in the apple, curry powder, and garlic, and cook two minutes more. Add the cauliflower and the broth. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer 20 minutes. Remove lid and allow to cool for 10 to 20 minutes, then blend in a food processor or blender until smooth. I used an immersion blender for this step and blended it right in the pot. Stir in the agave nectar and vinegar; add salt to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment